The Tenant

- Stella, I was wondering...

- Yeah?

- A tooth...
A tooth is a part of ourselves, isn't it?
Like a...bit of our personality.

- I don't know what you mean.

- I remember in the newspaper,
a man lost his arm in an accident and wanted to have it buried.

-He wanted to do what?

- Have it buried in the cemetery.

- He must have been nuts.

- The authorities refused. The arm was cremated and that was that.

- Where did this happen? In France?

- I wonder if they refused to give him the ashes
and if so, by what right?

- Haven't you got anything more cheerful to talk about?

- All right, that'll do.

- Don't worry.

- Tell me...
At what precise moment...
...does an individual stop being who he thinks he is?

- You know, I don't like complications.

- Cut off my arm. I say, "Me and my arm."
You cut off my other arm. I say, "Me and my two arms."
You...take out...
...take out my stomach, my kidneys,
assuming that were possible...
And I say, "Me and my intestines."
Follow me?
And now, if you cut off my head...
...would I say, "Me and my head" or "Me and my body"?
What right has my head to call itself me?
What right?
Oh, God.

1 comentario:

laviejadebarrionorte dijo...

Buenísimo. Cómo no fui a verla...